Sunday, September 2, 2007

I know where the ER is

Yep, we've made our first trip to the ER in our new hometown. It was for me, not the kids. I'm fine, but it turns out I am now allergic to amoxicillin and penicillin.

It all started with some itchy bumps yesterday. I kept wondering why I suddenly got bit by mosquitos when I haven't had a problem with them all week. I finally decided it was because we went to a wooded park yesterday for the first time and just left it alone. I put some anti-itch cream on the bumps and went on with my day.

More bumps kept appearing and I kept trying to figure out where those pesky mosquitos were coming from. I went to bed and had horrible dreams about being bit by brown recluse spiders (some tiny, tiny spiders had jumped on me in the deck chair Sat a.m.). Then really started itching and dreamed that I had contracted smallpox. Nothing like a little imagination.

B woke up this morning and got my DH to go watch TV. I got up to go the bathroom and my lips felt funny. I looked in the mirror and my lips and face were swollen and I had a red rash all over my forehead and my shoulders. My lower lip was very puffy on the lower right lip. I felt like Will Smith in Hitch.

I walked in and told my DH that I needed him to take me to the hospital. He started herding the kids in wake-up clothes and sent me to take a shower in case it was poison ivy or such. I sat down on the toilet and thought "he's going to have to come in here and help me because I don't think I can stand up in the shower". Next thing I know, I came to lying on the bathroom floor. I popped one of the lenses out of my glasses. Okay, so no shower for me.

The family took me to the ER and checked me in. The doctor said it was most likely the amoxicillin I've been taking for a sinus infection. Because of the fainting, though, he wanted to give me some fluids and do some tests and keep me for a couple of hours. So, I sent the family away. My DH felt bad for leaving me, but I pointed out that I had a book and would be much less stressed without the two children. They went back to the hotel to eat breakfast and such.

So, I got an epi shot, some steriods, a saline IV, and 75 mg of Benadryl. I then became fuzzy and just chatted with all of the staff who came in about all kinds of things. I know I'm normally talkative, but this was just random. I then fell asleep. They checked my blood pressure sitting and standing (tilt test) and said I needed to stay for another bag of saline. Oh, and I did two EKGs and they took several vials of blood.

I've now been discharged and given prescriptions for Benadryl and some steriods. I also have to rest, stay out of the heat (and no hot baths), no driving for a couple of days, and lots of fluids.

Believe it or not, I was actually relieved when it was confirmed as an allergic reaction and was attributed to the amoxicillin. Much better than spiders or smallpox.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Oh jeez......scary little adventure. Glad you are okay.